12.27.2011

Thinking About FCBD

What's the right frame for Free Comic Book Day? How do we talk about it? It's certainly anachronistic, by which I mean it has the feel of an oldtimey practice, for me. Like something out of the 60s. But on the other hand, its about the repopularization of comics as a medium. I think the interesting part for me would be, what happens if FCBD doesn't play out at comicbook stores?

What if there's a certain kind of urban insurgency to comics distribution? Like we've seen with Tezuka-sama in the early 50s? What would that kind of insurgency look like for digital comics.

Maybe that's something worth talking to Alex at Archie Comics about. Or Ross at BOOM!.

<I>Image courtesy of</I> PopMatters<I>, from:</I> Elric: The Balance Lost FCBD, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment