12.06.2011

Lee's BATMAN: NOEL

What a sudden and profound joy it was to discover Lee could write as beautifully as he draws.

And more than that, during our conversation a few weeks back, his motivating factors are as vivid as anything. He summons up Tom Waits and Dickens and Eisner with such clear insight that it's hard not to feel cheated when recalling that he hasn't written more.

He's also said some incredibly cool things about my review. [http://leebermejo.blogspot.com/2011/12/pop-does-matter.html] But, to be charitable, the book itself always precedes the review.

To be honest I had a hard time writing the review without referencing our conversation. But I had to leave that material for the feature series.

What a book BATMAN: NOEL is, though. Could there really be a new spin on Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL? And here it is, I hold it in my hand.

Just amazing. Well done, Lee!
Dr. shathley Q | Comics Editor, PopMatters | @uu3y324rdry

No comments:

Post a Comment